Range Map of Sea Tutrles
Diet: Omnivorous, except the green sea turtle which is herbivorous
Average life span in the wild: Up to 80 years.
Size: Kemp’s Ridley is the smallest sea turtle at 30 inches long (.762m). The largest sea turtle is the leatherback – an adult can reach over six and a half feet long (over 1.8m). Adult female and male sea turtles are the same size.
Weight: Kemp’s Ridley weighs between 80-100lbs. Leatherback can weigh over 2,000 pounds
Sea Turtle Jokes
Q. What did turtle say to the taco?
A. My shell or yours?
Q. What do you get when you cross a turtle with a porcupine?
A. A slow poke!
Q. What did the turtle say to the surfing turtle?
A. You’re turtally wicked!
- Are one of the Earth’s most ancient creatures
- Have been around for 110 million years, since the time of the dinosaurs
- Can be found in all oceans except for the polar regions
- Are air breathing reptiles
- Sea turtles act as grazing animals that cut the grass short and help maintain the health of the sea grass beds
- There are seven species of sea turtles; the leatherback sea turtle, green sea turtle, loggerhead sea turtle, Kemp’s ridley sea turtle, hawksbill sea turtle, flatback sea turtle and olive ridley sea turtle
- Most sea turtles undergo long migrations, some as far as 1400 miles, between their feeding grounds and the beaches where they nest
- Spend most of their lives in the waterTheir heart rate slows to conserve oxygen: nine minutes may elapse between heartbeats.