Range Map of Dolphins
Average life span in the wild: 20 years
Size: 10 to 14 ft
Weight: 1,100 lbs
Q. What did Cinderella Dolphin where to the ball?
A. Glass flippers!
Q. What is a dolphin’s favorite TV show?
A. Whale of fortune!
Q. How does a group of dolphin’s make a decision?
A. Flipper coin!
Q. Does a dolphin ever do something by accident?
A. No, they do everything on porpoise!
Types of Dolphins
- There are 33 different types of marine dolphins, 4 types of river dolphins and 6 types of porpoises
- most species live in shallow areas of tropical and temperate oceans
- to prevent drowning while sleeping only half of the dolphin’s brain goes to sleep while the other half remains awake so they can continue to breathe!
- can reach speeds of over 18 miles an hour
- travel in social groups and communicate with each other by a complex system of squeaks and whistles
- can track their prey through the expert use of echolocation
- can make up to 1,000 clicking noises per second
- eat bottom-dwelling fish, shrimp and squid
- will still stay with its mother until it is between 3 and 8 years old